Christ: The Secret Place of the Most High

• 0
  • April 11, 2009
christsecretplace

“He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty” (Ps. 91:1)

If the Bible is primarily a spiritual book, inspired by the Holy Spirit, and to be interpreted and discerned by spiritual men and women, then the natural explanation of things is insufficient to get at the real truth contained within its pages.

In the mind of the Spirit everything points us to Christ – there is no compartmentalization, there is no “thing” that has significance by itself. Everything is connected and pointing us to a deeper reality, and the reality we are being constantly brought around to is the Person of Jesus Christ. He is the theme, the subject, the point of everything written, everything illustrated, everything taught, everything recorded in the Bible.

And so the Temple reveals something of Christ. The Sabbath day reveals something of Christ. The Promised Land reveals something of Christ. Every saint in the Bible reveals something of Christ. Every symbol, every type, every shadow, all points to a very real Person, a very real substance. “Of Him, through Him, and unto Him are all things” (Rom. 11:36). The natural interpretation of things, the historical view, is only the surface-level. The real riches, the real treasure, is found beneath the surface. You have to go deeper than the carnal, natural understanding, it requires spiritual seeing, spiritual discernment.

And so, whenever we come across something in Scripture like “The Secret Place of the Most High God”, we who are spiritual – who have the Holy Spirit as our Teacher – should be trained enough by the Holy Spirit to be able to recognize immediately: that is Christ. There He is. I see yet another dimension of Him here.

Let me ask, how can you make the Lord your habitation, your dwelling place? How is that possible? This can only be interpreted spiritually, it is absolutely impossible, and hardly conceivable, if we think of it naturally. How can the Lord be my dwelling place? How can I live in the Lord? Well, it’s like Nicodemus saying, “How can a man enter into his mother’s womb and be born again?”

How do we make the Lord our habitation? How can He become a place for us to dwell in? Well, it was a mystery for them in the Old Testament. They could go to the Temple, and they knew the priest could enter into the Holy of Holies, and perhaps that would be the closest anyone could get to dwelling, abiding, in the Lord, or at least, being in the presence of the Lord. But that was only for a few priests, it was not available to everyone.

Then we come to those wonderful words of Jesus in John 15, and we begin to understand. It is quite beyond human explanation. It remains a mystery, a locked door, until the Lord Jesus Himself comes to us and reveals the mystery and unlocks the door. He says, “Abide in Me, and I will abide in you” (Jn. 15:4). It doesn’t take a very brilliant person to make the connection between Psalm 91 and John 15. The language is the same. Read John 15, then go back and read Psalm 91 again. All those words – abide, dwell, live – they all mean the same thing. “He who dwells in the Secret Place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty” goes right together with “Abide in Me, and I will abide in you.”

Yes, this Secret Place where we abide is Christ. It is not some thing or some place outside of Christ, but a place in Christ Himself. HE IS THE SECRET PLACE OF THE MOST HIGH GOD. He is that place that has been prepared for us.

Now when we read Psalm 91 it takes on an even greater significance. If you hold on to Psalm 91 for physical protection I don’t mean to discourage you or anyone else from doing so; but I do encourage you to dig deeper and get hold of it for something far better. It is a spiritual refuge, a spiritual covering, a place where evil cannot touch you, because you are hidden in Christ. A place where the body may become weak and may even be destroyed, beheaded like John the Baptist, stoned like Stephen, crucified like Peter – but the spirit cannot be touched. The communion and fellowship and presence of Christ Himself keeps you in His own Victory, a Victory that survives everything else, that goes beyond your own mortality, beyond your years here on earth, and goes with you up and away and apart from the earthy and the physical and the temporal – on into eternity.

About Chip Brogden

Chip Brogden is an international best-selling author, teacher and founder of TheSchoolOfChrist.Org. His writings reach more than 135 nations with a simple, consistent, Christ-centered message. Connect with Chip on Twitter or Facebook.

33 Comments

• Jackie says:

Chip
    As I read this article my thoughts go to many occasions where people have said to me that their greatest desire is to be in the…Secret Place of the Most High or to (enter in) as if it literally were a place that they could ascend and participate. Thinking perhaps that would be the final step of spiritual fulfillment. I’ve even had people describe these experiences, but the Spirit within me never bore witness to this (meaning I didn’t buy it). My response was that I just desired more of Christ, although I didn’t fully comprehend the implications of my response.
    This thought is very common in the charismatic movement. There are (how to) books written to this end of which I am sure you are aware. Think I have a few, or at least did, because quickly I saw the futility of the method.
    Once again you bring such Spiritual clarity that the IC has not because they cannot. Additionally I appreciate that you continue to remind us of our responsibility of not relying solely on your teachings. Your teachings continue to be a springboard for me …to seek, ask and knock …for myself. We must dig deeper individually, cultivating our relationships with Christ Jesus. We must be like the Bereans, ever vigilant in the Word seeking God through the presense of the Holy Spirit within us. As you frequently remind us the answer is always in the MAN, that is the person of Jesus Christ.

In Christ
    Jackie

• Tom says:

My God! This article is as amazing as they come. I have preached about the secret place before but never saw it like this. Am grateful for the insight, it should be put out there so the church can see it more clearly. We get so used to preaching formulas and they aren’t working.
    Bless you.

• Chris says:

I agree with Jackie. This article is succinct and simple; yet provides astonishing clarity to something that I have misinterpreted for many years. Thank you for sharing, Chip! My time with Jesus on earth will be better because of it.

• Helen says:

Thank you for these profound thoughts on the Secret place of the Most High.

Reading through it, I can’t help but personally relate to Matthew 11:25-30. For those dwelling in Christ do enter into his rest. They have rest because the Father reveals the Son and the Son reveals the Father to them. In knowing the Son, we know the Father.
    The substance of this spiritual dwelling place is indeed the revelation of Christ!

So it is my testimony also to dwell in this secret place is to delve into the depth of Christ.

God Bless you and Everyone who reads this article.

Helen

Matt.11:25-30
    25At that time Jesus said, “I praise You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and intelligent and have revealed them to infants.

26″Yes, Father, for this way was well-pleasing in Your sight.

27″All things have been handed over to Me by My Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father; nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and anyone to whom the Son wills to reveal Him.

28″Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.

29″Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS.

30″For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

• Julie says:

A very good article/reminder.

• Stanley Sroka Jr. says:

In Christ dwells all the fullness of the GodHead bodily and you are complete in Him.Col 2:10
    I am in the secret place. All who are in Christ are in what was the secret place but now is made manifest. There is repose and great peace in abiding in Jesus Christ. Perhaps this is why Paul prayed that the eyes of our understanding being enlightened we would understand…
    The mystery has been revealed;”Christ in you”.
    He is us we in Him and full circle of the Father in Him and we in Him and He in us; The Triune God in us and we in the Triune God. We the sons of God.

• Bettina says:

I believe that’s why it says …no weapon formed against you shall prosper…It does not mean our body can not be destroyed but it means like you said our spirit can never be touched. No weapon can destroy us !!!!

Bettina

• A. Brother says:

Dear Brother Chip:

This is the truth that needs to be trumpeted from the rooftops and declared loudly in the temple courts (among the Ekklesia). There is only one Way, and that Way is Christ. Not just the cross, not just the resurrection, but Christ Himself.

Thanks for this teaching.

As I wrote the other day in a teaching on my blog, how did Jesus spend His time with the disciples after the resurrection? Think about the walk on the road to Emmaus with Cleopas and the other disciple Jesus had. Jesus spent the entire time explaining to them “what was said in all the Scriptures concerning Himself.” Luke 24:27

Christ is all, and the beginning and end of all God’s thoughts and plans for us. To the extent we focus on Christ, is the extent we enter that “secret place” you talk about here.

What a blessing these teachings are, Chip, and so, I pray that God will empower and strengthen you to keep proclaiming, through all difficulty and opposition.

In Christ,
    A. Brother Gary

• Terry Lattimore says:

THANK YOU. I had a ref. note in my Bible to Jn.15:4, but the way you explained it made me thank the Holy Spirit for guidance to this answer. The question,”Ps.91:1,the secret place of the Moos High, what does it mean?” Thanks aagain. Terry

• Mary says:

Thanking Jesus for your spiritual insight and gift of teaching, Chip.

• Luis Antonio Carreiro says:

The peace of the Lord Jesus Chip!
    What a beautiful message inspired by the Holy Spirit.
    I was writing something about this psalm to deliver to my brothers in Christ here in Brazil, however, I felt that i still lacked some information. When I faced this revelation God gave to you, I just glorify Him to have found what I was looking for. May God keep blessing your life, so, you can be a bless to all of us.

• George France says:

I was meditating on this scripture today and I had two questions. 1. What is this secret place? 2. How do we dwell there?
    So I googled my first question and as soon as I saw your title in the list of results, the Holy Spirit told me “There is your answer!”. I didnt have to read your article to know the answer but after reading it, I know you were inspired to write this. God bless you for this insight.

• William says:

It is in deed a revelation to me, bringing more light on my understanding on how to relate the “secret place of the most high” to other parts of the word.

Truly, it is about him, him alone that we can all find our significance.

Yours in fellowship.

William

• Ron Slyderink says:

Wonderfully expressed. Jesus is the complete expression of God and His presence is all sufficient and we rest in Him and we live in and for Him. Be glorified Father in Jesus your Son as you indwell us.

• Igwe says:

II want to thank you for straightening things up for me regarding “The secret place.mm”. God bless u.

• lulu martinez says:

Wow. Beautifully put. And only the Holy Spirit, who reveals the true knowledge of who He is and who you are in Him, could have provided such accuracy. This piece is certainly for the spiritual man, the natural man would see it as illogical gibberish. Bless, you, Bro!! Peace, grace, and mercy be unto you from the Father of Truth and Understanding by His Son, our Saviour.

• Linda Bray says:

How beautifully explained. We are his and he is ours through all things and in all things.
    The secret place of the most high is the treasure in the field, the Son of God, the Beloved One, Jesus and him alone.

• Philip Sargunam says:

Dear brother Chip,

thank you for that insightful article. Most of the other articles could only dwell on the shadow aspect and could not explain the secret place. I believe that you have defined the secret place correctly…scripturally. Thank you.

Permit me, in all humility, to point you into further study but asking you to see if it also has a connection with the Most Holy place and the ministry that took place there in regard to the blotting out of sin for the believer who came there in Christ. And hence could it also connect to Sanctification of the believer today…blotting out of sin from each believer’s life through the continued destruction of sin by the power of the Holy Spirit?

A brother in Christ
    Philip Sargunam

• Florence says:

thank you very much for this article Chip. My eyes have been opened.

• abu says:

Thanks, for the word.

• Pls thank you for this wonderful write up. Iam to teach on this very topic today and God just lead me to this wonderful write up,thanks and God bless you for being there for us.

• Judith Mushonga says:

This is just awesome. OK, that’s the secret place of the Most High. In Christ is a place! Ok, Ok. Flesh and blood did not reveal this to you my brother. You are a blessing. Glory to Jesus!

• Mark Wells says:

Praise be unto God!!! Was beginning to think I was the only one who Truly believes, knows tht Every Word is True, knows God Did do it, Is doing it, and will do it, and has learned to walk in spirit and in Truth which is the Only Way for the Holy Spirit to commune, teach, lead, and guide us. Thank You Yeshua!!@

• sharmon hardaway says:

You’re not along in the struggle. I pray constantly for the churches of Christ. We will be saved.

• Mary Esanbor says:

Dear brother, the lord just gave me this revelation today as I pondered over the word. I decided to check online to see if anyone else has had this revelation , then I stumbled into your website. Amazing truth. It is a confirmation that the Holy Spirit is indeed the Spirit of truth. God bless you.

• sharmon hardaway says:

Yes, Jesus is the place of refuge. Yet his throne is a high throne. His dwelling place is Heaven. The Holy Spirit is of God, yet sent by Jesus. Jesus didn’t come to separate us from God but to draw us closer to God. May the Lord richly bless you. Brother Hardaway, watchman and warrior for Christ.

• beloved Berna says:

The lord made me understood today the meaning of the secret place of the most high . All my fears came out of the window and doors in all directions . Praise God .

• Beatrice says:

Thanks so much for this revelation. Indeed it is true that Jesus Christ is the secret place of God, who revealed Himself in Christ. I was given 91:1 as an assignment to tell the what is this secret place, and yours and another have connected to me that Jesus, the Word of God, is the secret place of the Most High God. Obedience to the Word, Christ Jesus, opens up the heart of God to believers to truly experience His presence that makes you almost immune to world pleasures, desires, and pains. Again, many thanks.

• Ezekiel says:

your article cleared my doubt. I was prompt by the holy ghost to preach psalms 91 secret place and i found myself saying christ is the secret place for all to come in. Humanly i felt i miss it. Thank God i google your article and found this profound truth. And am overwhelm by it. Thank you for the availability

• Ridge says:

God bless you for “the anointing that teaches you concerning all things” 1 John 2:27. Very clearly explained. Thank you.

• Isaiah says:

Am blessed by reading about the secret place.Amen